.

Saturday, March 2, 2019

Storm Born Chapter Eight

The commemorate was equivalent a cross between Sleeping Beautys castle and a medieval church. Towers jauntily sprang up to impossible heights, cr sw each(prenominal)owing black patches across the evening sky. Wed bem workoutd our light now, exclusively I could pipe dispirited find mavinself that a bus of the windows looked as though they contained stained glass. I imagined theyd be beautiful in entire sunlight. And framing everything, of course, were those brilliant, yel number 1-orange trees. Volusian had told me that the kingdoms seasons were dependent on their rulers whims and could last for extremely massive clippings. This was beautiful, however I couldnt imagine living in a shopping center that was perpetually autumn. I k raw some(a) claimed Arizona was perpetually summer, however, then, the hatful who utter that didnt actually live thither. The seasons were subtle, just now they were there.I had to keep re melodic themeing myself I wasnt in some kind of wac ky movie as Rurik and his gang light-emitting diode us through twisted hall right smarts lit with torches. People passed, handsome us curious looks as they went more or less whatever hotshot did in a medieval castle. Churning butter. Flogging peasants. I truly didnt hunch forward, and I didnt care. I just wanted to get out of there.Wait here, Rurik told us when we r from each whizzed a large decorate of double oak doors. I will express to the king forward youre sh receive into the bathroom room.Wow. An h wholenessst-to- safe(p)ness throne room. He disappeared low-downlife the doors, and a couple guards watched us but kept their distance.Volusian, I say softly, did you purposely lead us here?My but purpose, mistress, is to keep you alive. be here will change magnitude your chances.You didnt answer the question.You will to a fault increase your chances, he continued, if you are nice to King Dorian.Nice? They just assaulted me and imperil to rape me.He gave me an exasp erated look.The king will see you now, express Rurik dramatically, returning from in slope the room. He held the door open for us. Trumpets wouldnt redeem surprised me.The throne room was not what I judge. Sure, there was a dais with a chair on it, just like in the movies, but the equaliser of the room was in a state of disarray. A large space ran through the middle, for dancing or processions, perhaps, but the stay put had an almost lounge air of look. Small couches, chaises, and chairs were arranged some low gameboards set with goblets and platters of fruit. Men and women, again dressed in sort of a goth-Renaissance style, draped themselves on the furniture and on each other, picking lazily at the fruit as they watched me. I was put in mind of the flair Ro whiles used to dine.More than gentry lounged around, however. Spirits and sprites and trowes and wraiths were alike in attendance, a gigantic with an assortment of Otherworld creatures. The monsters of human imaginin g, side by side with fast oneal refugees who had immigrated to this world.I wondered then if both other shaman had been this further into gentry society. I remembered Rolands warning, that I could be taken right into the burden of their world. If lone(prenominal) our kind had some sort of scholarly journal. The Journal of Shamanic character assassination and Otherworldly Encounters. I could boast used this research to write a compelling article to share with my fellow professionals.Conver sit downion dropped to a low hum as the gentry leaned over and whispered to each other, eye on me. Smirks and scowls alike lit their faces, and I put on the dummy expression I would wear going to meet a new c craftnt. Meanwhile, my pulse raced into overdrive and breathing became a bit difficult.Volusian trailed near me on one side while Rurik walked on the other. Wil and the others moved behind us.why all these people? I murmured to Volusian. Is he having a party?Dorian is a loving king. H e likes keeping people around, most apt(predicate) so he can mock them. He keeps a full court and regularly invites his nobles to dine here.We came to a stop. On the throne sat a man, Dorian, I presumed. He looked bored. He leaned into the arm of his chair, one cubitus propped on it so he could rest his chin in his perish. It sort of do him view us at an angle. Long auburn hair, mindful of the trees outside, hung around him, highlighted with every shade of red and gold conceivable. He could live with been autumn incarnate. He had the most perfect skin Id ever seen in such a vivid redhead smooth and ivory, with no freckles or rosy color. A cloak of forest-green velvet covered unremarkable gimpyy pants and a loose, white button-up shirt. He had well-shaped cheekbones and delicate features.Kneel forward the king, ordered Rurik, and get used to being on your knees.I gave him a withering glance. He smiled.Ill be happy to make you, he warned.Bah, enough. moderate her in peace, in toned Dorian laconically. He didnt change posture. Only his look portrayed some(prenominal) sort of interest in these goings-on. If shes been with you for the last hour, she deserves a break. Go sit down.Ruriks smugness flashed to embarrassment, but he bowed ahead the throne and keistered off. That left Dorian and me staring at each other. He grinned.Well, come here. If you wont kneel, I at least want to get a good look at the terrible monster theyve brought to me. They all seem sooner panicked of you. I confess, I didnt really believe it was you when they told me. I mind Rurik had been into the mushrooms again.Do you impart intercourse how numerous of our people she has killed and forcibly banished, sire? exclaimed Shaya from somewhere behind me. She took out three in under(a) a piece just now.Yes, yes. Shes quite terrifying. I can see that. Dorian looked at me expectantly.I shook my head. Im not moving until you offer us hospitality.This do him sit up. He kept smiling. Shes clever too, though, admittedly, asking for hospitality before you crossed our humble threshold would deem been more clever even so since some(prenominal) of my subjects could own attacked you just now. He shrugged. just weve made it this far. So, furcate me, Eugenie, why er, wait. Do you prefer Eugenie or Miss Markham?I considered. I prefer Odile.That smile twitched. Ah. Were sedate clinging to that, are we? Very well, then, Odile, tell me what brings the lustrous ones most feared enemy to my door, asking for hospitality. As you biggish businessman imagine, this is without precedence.I glanced around at all the watching, listening people. Ignore them, ignore them, an inner express whispered. Focus on Dorian for now. I dont really want to talking to about it in front of the peanut gallery. Id rather meet with you in private.Oh. He pitched his contribution for the crowd. Well, well. Odile wants to meet with me in private.I blushed, hating myself for doing it. head -in-the-clouds laughter ran around the room, soon elevateing stronger and more confident as the kings did. Interesting, I thought. I remembered Volusians comments about Dorian, and his soldiers hesitation about his wrath. These gathered people were sheep, obviously, ready to dance or laugh at Dorians command, but on the spur of the moment I wondered if they were sheep who also feared the whims of their capricious shepherd. I wondered if I should be afraid too.I kept my silence, not acknowledging his joke. He leaned forward, putting both elbows on his knees, letting his chin rest in both heaps now. If I offer you hospitality, you must reciprocate in kind. Ill see that no one misuses you in my household, but in return, you can harm no one under my roof.I glanced sticker at Volusian. You didnt mention that.Oh, for Gods sake, he hissed, displaying a rare loss of patience. What did you expect? Take it before your imminent finish becomes more imminent and robs me of my chance to kill you myself.I turned clog up to Dorian. I didnt like this turn of events. I didnt like being in a nest of gentry, nor did I want to be at ones mercy. wherefore was I here again? In my head, I summoned an image of brusque Jasmine Delaney, imagining her being tormented in a similar way over at Aesons court. Only she would be subject to more than just mockery.I accept, I state.Dorian regarded me in silence and then nodded. As do I. He looked up at the crowd. Odile Dark Swan is now under the protection of my hospitality. Anyone who so much as lays a finger on her will get his own fingers chopped off and fed back to him. He issued the threat with as much cheer as Volusian might have.A buzz spread through the crowd, not entirely pleased. Whats to keep her from breaking her oath? I comprehend someone mutter. Another said loudly, She could slay us allDorians eyes flicked back to me. Did you have any belief what a creature of nightmare you are around here? Mothers tell their children Od ile Dark Swan will come for them if theyre vainglorious.Hey, I dont look them out. I only come for them if they come for me kickoff.Interesting, he said, arching an eyebrow. exclusively if thats how you like it, so be it. I always admire women who know what they want in the bedroom.Hey, thats not what I I hadnt realized the bound to which our slang had permeated the gentry world. Theirs was a reflection of my own things seeped through.He thin me off with a gesture. I gave you hospitality, now come up here. I want to see the terror that haunts the darkness.I hesitated, both from distrust and defiance to his taunting. Volusians voice whispered in my ear. He will not harm you now that hes accustomed his word.I dont know if I can really believe that.I do. My minions voice was calmly serious. You know I cant lie to you.Turning back to Dorian, I took the steps until I stood at the similar take aim as his chair. I met his view evenly. Look at those eyes, he sighed happily. Like violets in the snow. You smell like them too.Beyond us, I noticed another rise of murmurs in the crowd.Whats got them all worked up now? They couldnt hear our discourse.His own eyes danced. They were golden-brown, the color of autumn leaves falling from the trees. Youve broken protocol. They expected you to stop one step lower. Instead, youve put yourself at the same level as me. The fact that Im not chastising you means Im treating you as an equal, like royalty. You should be flattered.I crossed my arms. Ill be more flattered when we have the private talk.He tsked me. So impatient. So human. Youve asked for my hospitality. You cant expect me to not give it now. He made a gesture with his put acrosss, and spirit servants appeared, bearing serving platters of food. For some reason, I suddenly started thinking of the song Hotel California. We were about to eat when you so appealing dropped in. Dine with us, and then well have as many private encounters as you like.Im not stupid. I wont eat anything in the Otherworld. You have to know that.He shrugged, still sprawled out on his throne like a homelike cat. Your loss. You can sit and watch, then. He rose gracefully and offered me his hand. I stared at it blankly. Shaking his head with mirth, he simply walked with me down the steps, not touching.Wheres the rest of my group?Your servants and human friend are safe, I as positive(predicate) you. Weve given them their own accommodations since they dont have a guest-of-honor seat at my table, thats all.He beckoned toward a low, polished table, a bit larger than the others in the room. Like the rest, it was border by sumptuous-looking chairs and sofas, patterned in bright brocades and velvets. Dorian settled down onto a small loveseat and patted the spot beside him.Keep me company?I didnt honor that with an answer, instead sitting down in the chair next to his sofa. It was a single seat. No one could sit with me. We were soon joined by about a dozen others, includi ng Rurik and Shaya. She reported to Dorian that the people Id wound had been healed and were recovering. True to my word, I didnt eat any of the food set out before us, but I confess, it looked pretty good. Stuffed Cornish game hens. Fresh bread with steam still rising from it. Desserts I would have committed murder for.But I didnt give in. One of the first rules of the game was to never eat outside your own world. Stories and myths abounded about those mad enough to ignore that precaution.The other diners tried hard to pretend I didnt exist, but Dorian was fascinated by me. Worse, he flirted with me. At least he wasnt as crass as every other gentry I seemed to encounter, but I didnt rise to any of it even if it was appeal at ages. I took it all in with a stoic face, which seemed to channelise him that much more. The other women at the table were less resistant. Any look, any word, and they practically melted with lust.In fact, many other people in the room also seemed to melt with lust. Very explicitly so. During and after dinner, I watched as people couples usually, but sometimes more touched each other brazenly. It was like being in junior high again. nearly of it was just kissing. Some of it was heavy groping a hand caressing the breast or sliding up the thigh. And some of it wasmore. Across the room, I saw one woman climb on top of a man and straddle him, moving up and down. I was pretty sure they had nothing on beneath the voluminous folds of her skirt. At a table nearby, one woman was on her knees in front of a man, and she was I hastily averted my eyes, turning back to my own table. I found Dorians gaze on me and knew he scrutinized my every reaction. Through some unspoken command, a blond slip of a woman slid into the empty seat beside him, the one I had refused. She draped a leg over his lap and cover her arms around him, kissing his neck. He moved one hand up her leg, pushing up the skirt to reveal smooth flesh, but he otherwise seemed o blivious to her as he regarded me and the other guests. deflection from the free love and utterly medieval setting, there was almost something, well, rule about this place. The gentry Id run into were always causing trouble in my world. Luring humans. Using magic indiscriminately. But this was like any other social occasion or party. People knew each other and regarded their friends with warmth. They discussed love and children and politics. True, they were still foreign and other to me, but I could also almost see them as human. Almost.Needing to do more than sit there and stare, I reached into my pelage and pulled out one of the two Milky Way bars Id brought along. It was also a utilitarian move, seeing as how I was so sharp-set from watching all the feasting around me. Dorian immediately became intrigued.What is that?I held it up. Its a Milky Way. Itscandy. I didnt really know what else to say about it. I wasnt even sure what was in it. Nougat? I had no idea what the hell that foamy stuff was, save that it was delicious.He eyed it curiously, and I broke off a piece, tossing it over to him. He caught it deftly.Your majesty, exclaimed one of the men, dont eat it. Its not safe.It wont hurt me here, rebuked Dorian in annoyance. And dont even start in about poison or Ill let Bertha the cook have her way with you again.The man promptly shut up.Dorian popped the piece into his mouth, chewing thoughtfully. observation the expressions his face went through was almost hilarious. It took him awhile to work through all that gooey scrumptiousness, and I fostered a compelling image of him with saltwater taffy.Entertaining, he declared when hed finished. Whats in it?I dont know. Some chocolate and caramel. A constellate of stuff sort of fused into other stuff.One woman, her hair wavy and brown, fixed me with a combative look. Thats so typical of them. They twist record and the elements for the sake of their perverted creations until they no longer know what it is th ey do. They are an aversion to the divine, bringing forth monstrosities and abominations they cannot control.A snappy retort rose to my lips, but I bit it off. Volusian had warned me to be nice. In light of their relatively civilised behavior at dinner, I could do no less, so my voice stayed calm. Our monstrosities do great things. We can fix injuries you cant. We have plumbing and electricity. We have transportation that makes your horses look like dinosaurs.Like what? asked one of the men.Bad analogy, I replied.Shaya shook her head. We can achieve many of the same topics with magic.Magic couldnt do much against my gun earlier.Our people survived. Only a human would suck about her skill to wield death.And you in particular would have good reason to, pointed out Rurik. No other human in memory has killed as many of our kind spirits or shining ones as you. You would have killed me last week if youd had the strength. You would have killed our people in the timberland today if you could have.I dont always kill. I even avoid it if I can. But sometimes I have to, and when I dowell, then, thats the way it goes.Glowers regarded me all around the table. Only Dorians face stayed politely curious.Rumor has it youve killed your own kind too, he noted. Doesnt it keep you up at night to have so much blood on your work force?I leaned back in my chair, as always trying to keep my emotions off my face. It did razz me sometimes, but I didnt want them to know. I hadnt killed many humans only a handful, really and most of it had been self-defense. Theyd been humans working with gentry or other creatures to do harm in my world. That had justified the kills in some ways, but I could never ignore that I was taking a life. A human life. A life like my own. The first time Id seen the light fade out of someones eyes wrought by my hand Id had nightmares for weeks. Id never told Roland about that, and I certainly wasnt going to tell this group.Actually, Dorian, I sleep ver y well, thank you.Its King Dorian, hissed a plump man across from me. Show respect.Dorian smiled. The others glared further.The gods will punish a murderer like you, warned one of the women.I doubt it. I dont murder anyone. I defend. Everyone Ive killed was doing damage to my world or in the case of those humans fortune your kind construct harm. Those who merely trespass, I dont kill. I just channel them back. Its not your world, so I protect my own. Thats not a crime.Dorian sent the blonde away with a quick motion of his hand and leaned over the couch so he could speak closer to me. But you know it was once our world too.Yes. And your ancestors left it.Shaya eyed me, cheeks flushing. We were driven out.Dorian ignored the outburst. You gave us no plectrum. Once we were all one people. wherefore your ancestors turned away from the power within and sought it without. They built. They subdued nature. They created things with their hands and the elements that we had only thought magic capable of. Some even surpassed what magic could do.So whats wrong with that?You tell me, Odile. Has it been worth it? You cant have it both ways. The ability to force magic from the world killed the magic within. Your lives shortened as a result compared to ours. Your sense of wonder disappeared, short of anything that can be proven by numbers and facts. Your people will soon have no gods but their machines.And despite all this, observed Shaya bitterly, humans continue to flourish. Why havent they been give tongue to? Why do they spawn like cats and dogs while our numbers protrude? They are the abominations, not us.Their short lives, their burning need to create before they die, drive that. Their bodies cant help but produce life so readily. We do not feel that urgency. Dorian grinned. Well, physically we do, but subconsciouslyour souls know we have time.Thats another wonder of modern medicine. We can help the infertile.Dorian frowned, again more curious than angry. Enlight en us.I hesitated, suddenly regretting my comment. In as brief a way as I could, I explained artificial insemination and in vitro fertilization.Even Dorian had trouble stomaching that one.This is how your numbers grow? asked a woman near Shaya. Her voice was an awed whisper.Only for some, I told her. Most dont need it. If anything, I think we have too many babies.Seeing their shocked faces, I felt a little bad about upsetting them with all this. After all, I was a big advocate of respecting cultural diversity. Yet that core belief of mine wavered around these people. Maybe that was unfair, but I had spent my life being taught that they were not human. They might seem so now, but I didnt think one dinner could truly alter my ingrained views.Shaya shook her head, face pale. This, then, is what has displaced us from our homeland. These are the things that forced us from the place we came from and into the world of spirits and lost(p) souls. We lost to twisted creatures who breed easil y, who rape and pillage the earth in homage to their metal gods.Look, Im sorry it upsets you all so much, but thats how it is. You guys lost. You have to deal. You did an okay job fighting, I guess. You still show up in a lot of fairy tales and myths. But you still lost. Historys like that. on that point are wars, and unfortunately, in the end, who wins and who loses is more important than whos right or wrong. atomic number 18 you saying your people were wrong, then? asked Dorian quietly.No, I said with certainty. dead not.Youre very loyal to your own kind.Of course I am. Im human. Theres no choice there especially when your people do nothing but cause trouble for mine when they cross over.Look around this room. Of those gatheredI would say only less than twenty have ever visited your world. And of those, only a small amount caused trouble. You have degenerates in your world too. Yet, you wouldnt use them to define your entire race as bad.No, I agreed. But Id still punish them. L ook, maybe Im overly jaded toward your kind, but then, the only ones Ive ever met have been the deviants. Its hard not to judge.Dorian stared at me for a long time, and I couldnt read him. Everyone else looked like they would have killed me on the spot, if not for the hospitality prohibition. I wondered if Id made Dorian mad enough to regret giving his oath.His thoughtful face changed to its typical expression, the perpetually amused and lazy one. He rose from his couch, sweeping the cloak behind him. Everyone else hastily followed suit. I took my time getting up.I thank you all for a lovely evening, but I must take my leave now. He spoke loudly, so that his words carried to more than just our table. Conversation in the room dropped. I daresay my guest is growing restless and eager for some privacy, and I do so hate to disappoint.The toadies laughed appreciatively, and I steeled myself not to blush again. Dorian glanced at me as we slowly walked out of the hall.If I offered my hand again, I dont pronounce youd take it?Not a chance. I dont want to give them any ideas.Oh. Well. Im afraid its too late for that, once they see where were going.I slicing him a warning look. Where are we going?Why, to the most private of places. My bedroom, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment